[Imports] Import of Placename Database of Ireland

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jun 4 12:15:16 UTC 2015

Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> writes:

> This is a planned import of the metadata from the Placenames Database
> of Ireland (Logainm) into OpenStreetMap. I would like to match up the
> official Irish names from Logainm with the exiting administrative
> boundaries in OSM (counties, baronies, CPs, EDs, and townlands). The
> Irish community already supports this move.
>
> Wiki page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Logainm_Import
>
> Some of the code that will do it is here:
> https://github.com/rory/logainm-osm-import

Generally there are objections to adding the ref tag.  Basically the
notion is that you have to deal with the hard part of conflation when
you don't have it, so you might as well skip it.

One of the issues we are having in the US is the difference between
"place name", which is a name to refer to a particular geographic area,
which might or might not have a relationship to an legal entity with an
administrative boundary, and names for official cities/towns.

So, are the names in this database legal entity names and have
associated polygons, or are they points for locations that people would
use names to describe, or something else?

In general, I had a hard time reading the wiki page and understanding
precisely what it is you actually want to do.  I certainly get the
larger point and don't have an issue with it - it's that I don't know if
the source is nodes or polygons, how the place name/legal entity name
issue works, and whether you will be conflating nodes with polygons, or
polygons with polygons, etc.

It would help to link to an extract of the database in some readable
format, and the output of your code to e.g. have an .osc file, or
something, for some small area.