[Imports] Adding a disaster layer to openstreetmap

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Thu Nov 5 17:48:17 UTC 2015

On 05/11/15 17:08, Rieger, Courtney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to add a disaster layer to any mapping program
> utilizing OSM software. I work for a community that wants to display
> their flood data on a map of their town utilizing the interactive
> interface of OSM. Any suggestions?

You have emailed the imports list, so I suspect think you should import
your flood data. This is not what I would do at all. Flood data is
transient and if it is repeated the extent can vary widely. This may not
be easy or useful to add directly to OSM.

I think you may like to look at Leaflet ( http://leafletjs.com/ ) to
display a map with your flooding data displayed above it. I would create
the flood data as a GeoJSON dataset as that is something Leaflet handles
well. You don't need to add the flood data to OSM at all for this to
work. This requires JavaScript skills to create the map.

HTH

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly