[Imports] [Talk-us] Importing Buildings and Addresses for Austin, Texas

Andy Wilson wilson.andrew.j at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 02:40:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 12:59 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > Am 09.11.2015 um 18:07 schrieb Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Replacing existing hand drawn buildings with imports from the city's GIS
> system would probably be preferable given the quality of the hand drawn
> buildings.  (compare the outline in [1] to satellite imagery).
>

> it might depend, unlike the city's data the things in osm may vary a lot
> in level of detail and quality. Also there could be other information
> attached to these buildings so they should be carefully reviewed before any
> deletions are executed.
>

> cheers
> Martin

Thanks for taking time to look things over. Adding to what Martin said,
some of our reasons:

1. From the belief that individual contributions are more valuable as a
whole than contributions from an automated import process. We are trying to
grow a local OSM community in Austin, and I feel that throwing away the
work of past contributors works against that.

2. The data we are importing was collected about 3 years ago at this point,
so OSM data will be more relevant and up to date in some cases.

3. Efficiency. There are enough buildings in OSM already and as Martin
pointed out, comparing them individually and properly merging tags, etc
would be time consuming.