[Imports] San Francisco building heights import

James james2432 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 11:19:12 UTC 2016

+1 Greg

Frederik if you read the wiki, there are multiple examples proving +3m in
one case(out of 283m so very low in overall %), but a couple cm in
others(for big buildings). There is even an example to prove small
buildings are accurate as well.

It's cases like this that make me think some people are against improving
the map faster, and do everything in an archaic way. Would you also
question if someone went from building to building with a measuring tape,
saying how do we know this person knows how to measure properly?

On Dec 2, 2016 12:31 AM, "Greg Morgan" <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> But surely a successful import should at least have some footing in the
> local community, should it not? How are you in touch with the local
> community, and what about that "local mapping event" you are talking about?
>

> The reason I am asking is that I am very worried about "import
>

> globe), then this mechanism won't work and we are looking at TIGER 2.0 -
>
> import a lot of stuff and let someone else deal with it later.

Frederik,

These are all unfounded fears.  We are not looking at a fantasy TIGER 2.0.
TIGER 1.0 was a wonderful thing.  I didn't have to look up all those road
names.  I've sent many wonderful hours learning about my part of the world
through the TIGER fixup process.  Moreover, I am really thankful for two
other imports/mechanical edits.  Ian Dees imported Geonames in the US.
That import added so many interesting deals to the map.  I was able and
still able to stand on his shoulders and build off that import. The other
was the balrog-kun mechanical name expansion. That saved me a ton of work.
That mechanical expansion add joy and pleasure to my mapping because I did
not have to perform that task.  I could map other things.

I've seen a great deal of time trying to find building heights in my area.
They are nonexistent.  So this import would add tags to building foot
prints already on the map.  More than likely the heights are not available
to local mappers.  I don't see the problem that you do.  Adding heights are
the last on my list.  I wish the import was in my mapping area.

I do not see the point of these discussions.  Frederik, I've seen you
revert changes without an alleged discussion yet you have not discussed the
rollback.  If you would have discussed some of your reverts, I would have
said please don't.  I had to follow your rollbacks and make the same
changes.  There was no value added to may manual changes.  Moreover, when
you enter these discussions, I see no real effort to make sure that the
change is safe.  You bring up all these make believe fears verses checking
out the import methods.  Please stay on task.

Regards,
Greg