[Imports] San Francisco building heights import

James james2432 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:46:15 UTC 2016

And what I am saying is there will always be an error factor in
measurements/drawings, what your acceptable ranges are depends on the
community to define what is an acceptable error range vs what is not
acceptable.
Take for instance a gps point for defining a town's name, will 5cm affect
it much? Probably not 1 or 2 km might though. On the other hand a building
might be affected with 1m error point and not with a 10cm offset.

There can always be people that argue against loose precision, take for
instance the house, I could argue that mm should be the standard, then
someone can argue that they want µm (micrometre), then nm (nanometre), then
pm (picometre). My point being no matter how accurate you think you are
being, you will always be wrong if you do not accept a margin of acceptable
error.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:

> On 02/12/16 11:19, James wrote:
>
>> +1 Greg
>>
>> Frederik if you read the wiki, there are multiple examples proving +3m in
>> one case(out of 283m so very low in overall %), but a couple cm in
>> others(for big buildings). There is even an example to prove small
>> buildings are accurate as well.
>>
>> It's cases like this that make me think some people are against improving
>> the map faster, and do everything in an archaic way. Would you also
>> question if someone went from building to building with a measuring tape,
>> saying how do we know this person knows how to measure properly?
>>
> I think it is entirely reasonable for Frederik to ask these questions in
> the polite, concise way that he does. Imports have a chequered history in
> OSM. Local ownership seems to make a big difference.
>
> In my opinion quality of map improvements is more important than speed of
> delivery. If quality and speed can go hand in hand then so much the better,
> but imports that quickly fill an empty space have not always turned out to
> be very valuable.
>
> I can make no judgement about this particular import, but Frederik is
> entitled to ask pertinent questions and I support his effort to keep the
> data quality high.
>
> --
> Cheers, Chris (chillly)

外に遊びに行こう!