[Imports] bulk import of house outlines, auckland NZ

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Tue Feb 9 22:06:30 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-09 09:58, Glen Barnes wrote:
> That was me. I have reached out to Robin (And have done previously
> when he mentioned the Auckland building imports) to discuss an
> concerns. This is part of the ongoing linz2osm project that was
> documented with on the wiki and also via the web tool that is used to
> define mappings. Looking at it the wiki is probably out of date and I
> will update it.

the point wasn't to respond to me, it was to follow the guidelines on
the wiki:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

where is the discussion about the import on the imports mailing list?
where on the wiki is the wiki page detailing the plan for importing?
where on the wiki are the status updates? where is the import-specific
account, (for the auckland council data, not the linz data)? most
importantly: "Don't upload any data until the project has been reviewed
first" from
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines#Step_5_-_Import_Review

this is a very large import, it's frustrating to have to ask multiple
times for the importers to comply with the guidelines the community has
put together, this has been going on for over a year now. the guidelines
are there for a reason.

to Tor:
this is not part of the LINZ import, which was started about 6 years
ago, although it uses the same "linz2osm" web applications. the data is
from Auckland council and is building outlines.

i know this is seen through the lens of "he's just dragging his heels,
trying to slow everything down, exert control" (i've heard the jibes),
but i find that very hurtful and alienating, plus untrue. this is about
the community, it always has been.

--
robin