[Imports] Uganda Bureau of Statistics educational facilities import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 19:25:36 UTC 2016

Hi, Paul:

Thanks for your comments:

On 30/12/15 05:00, Paul Norman wrote:

>>> Can you provide a link to the Ugandan discussion? It's also wrong to
>>> refer to this as a final validation - it's discussion just like needed
>>> to be done with the Ugandan community, and neither is more a final
>>> validation than the other.
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ug/2015-December/000069.html
>>

>> I just follow the imports guidelines.
>
> But my point is that this isn't a final validation, it's a consultation
> with the community, just as with talk-ug.
>
> Since talk-ug@ is a very quiet list, is there anywhere else the Ugandan
> community uses to talk? e.g. forums, a group elsewhere, FB, etc. With no
> response to the talk-ug@ message, it's hard to know if the locals want
> this or not.

A user from the Uganda community has shown up already. I guess more will
join.

The Talk-ug is not that quiet. But imports is a complex enough matter to
draw less comments than usual.

I'll do my best to involve the maximum people from the Uganda community
as possble. Jo's idea of trying to contact schools looks nice, although
quite complex to do.

>>> Looking at the suggested changeset comment, you should not mandate a
>>> particular comment, but have users use a good changeset comment[1].
>> I agree completely. Thank you. I will add that to the workflow wiki.
>
> Don't forget the Import_Uganda_Bureau_Of_Statistics_Education_Facilities
> page too.

True. That's corrected in both wikis.

>>> You've also listed the source tag twice.
>> If you mean that source and source:date are both in the nodes and the
>> changeset, it's true.
>
> No, you're requiring people to use two source tags on the changeset,
> which is impossible.

A small mistake. The second one was source:date. Corrected.

>>> Past experience has shown that importing with a fixme doesn't work. They
>>> don't generally get fixed.
>> The fixme tag would affect an small subset of those 24,000+ nodes.
>
> How large a subset? Also, it doesn't really address what I raised.

>From a ramdom check of 100 nodes that I did, it would be kind of 10%. It
normally affects nurseries.

>>> The workflow mentions abbreviations. Are these common enough to be worth
>>> expanding in the conversion script?
>> Yes. They are indeed very common. I will add the most complete set of
>> abbreviations to the final script so users will find as few as possible
>> of those abbreviations. Being 24,000+ nodes, it's really difficult to
>> correct all of them.
>
> What  kind of portion will be left?

The number of total nodes is 24,587

After abbreviating with the transformation script [1], there are only
10,062 nodes unchanged. So that means it corrects the abbreviations of
14,525 nodes the total set.

With that new .osm, I opened it in JOSM, and checked 200 ramdom nodes of
the "new" 24,587. I got 20 of them (10% of the total) that needed to be
corrected their abbreviations. That means that around 2,459 nodes would
be left for the users to correct manually. The Tasking Manager project
will be divided in 607 tasks. That means an average of 40 nodes to be
imported per task. So every user would have to correct only 4 nodes per
task, average.

The script corrects automatically 85.5% of the abbreviations, while the
users are left to correct the remaining 14.5% of all the nodes with
abbreviations (10% of the total nodes).

You can check easily the abbreviations that the script corrects in this
txt file [2].

Hope this answer your question.

To finish, in case you don't want to run the script, you can check the
final .osm file here [3].

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/y343ye75p49rerp/transformUgandaEdu.awk?dl=0