[Imports] Uganda Bureau of Statistics educational facilities import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 22:43:03 UTC 2016

Hi, Jo:

First of all, I want to thank you very much for your very nice offers to
contribute. I don't forget your offer to contribute to the Nepal
boundaries import May last year, that unfortunately couldn't be done due
to license issues.

I answer your comments inline:

On 02/01/16 21:06, Jo wrote:
> Rafael,
>
> Will you ask people to use JOSM to perfom the import? I ask because JOSM
> discards certain tags before performing an upload (odbl, created_by, and
> a few others). I'm not entirely sure what the other editors do.

I always organize Tasking Manager manual imports with JOSM only. iD or
Potlatch aren't suitable for this.

I deleted the created_by tag from the changeset tagging.

> Instead of using fixme and note and risking that users forget to remove
> them themselves, you could use those 'discardable' tags. To show them
> (greyed out), JOSM has to be in expert mode though...

Hmmm... It could be one idea. Actually, I thought a good idea to keep
also the info of the FCode field for further assessment of every node by
the users, so I divided the note tag in two:

note:code -> Shows what type of facility should be (Nursery School,
Primary School, Secondary School...). It confirms what we see in the
names, but obviously we can't check 24,587 nodes one by one.

note:remarks -> It's what the note tag is (still) in the wiki.

Both note:x tags + the fixme tag would be deleted before uploading, and
users would only add a (new) fixme tag in the few cases where they can't
be sure, as it is explained already in the wiki.

Making sure that users delete them could be achieved asking them to do a
final review: they select all nodes (using "new" filter), and see if any
of those tags are present. They can delete any remaining one in one step
(one second).

Your idea, apart from making the users use JOSM in expert mode (not a
big deal), can be a bit confusing, as the tag keys don't have relation
with the values. But let's consider that possibility anyway.

> Anyway, I wouldn't mind creating a screencast explaining what's involved
> in performing the import.

We should try to make the workflow wiki as more didactic as possible,
explaining all steps in depth. I try always to do my best, and to
improve them in every import, with quick reference for when you know the
process, etc.

You are very kind to offer creating the screencast. It could further
facilitate people joining this effort, but let's wait until we are happy
with all the process. As I said, we will be in the good path if we right
a good quality workflow wiki.

> Maybe we can also include the level, or min and max age? They are
> contained in the source data. I think I prefer min and max age, even
> when they are not directly in the source data.
>
>   * min_age <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:min_age>=* and
>     max_age <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:max_age>=* to
>     indicate age range of children that attend said school
>   * isced:level <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:isced:level>=*
>     To specify the level of education provided by an educational
>     establishment (such as primary, secondary and tertiary)

This is very nice. I thought about this too, but I don't know well
enough the Uganda education system to write the ages. Maybe Jotam can
give us info on that. Incorporating min_age and max_age would be easier
than isced:level maybe. In any case, adding them to the script would be
very easy.

Cheers,

Rafael.