[Imports] RFC: LA County building import (Los Angeles, California, USA)

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Mar 11 20:03:09 UTC 2016

On Friday 11 March 2016, Alan McConchie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are proposing an import of the public domain building and assessor
> data for LA County [0]. This covers ~3M buildings for the whole
> county (2008 - 2014).

Based on the data source website the geometry source data is from 2006
and 2008.  Depending on the area quite a lot of things can change in
8-10 years...

On

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Los_angeles,_California/Buildings_Import

the third data source link is broken.

On the whole the plan looks solid but it seems somewhat vague in some
parts to me at this time:

- there is no information on tagging
- there is no assessment of the geometric accuracy of the source data
- there does not seem to be any abstract specification coming with the
source data - it would be important to know if it complies with
established OSM practice of building mapping, in particular w.r.t. what
constitutes a single building and when there are two separate buildings
and possibly building:part.
- it would be important to know what age and accuracy available image
data sources have for the area of the import.

There are also some previous building imports in the area - like:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/360076675/history

It would be a good idea to include cleanup of these with the import
plan.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/