[Imports] [Talk-us] Boston, MA, USA addr:housenumber Import

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 00:42:38 UTC 2016

Hi Roman,

The city of Boston building data set for buildings has address.

http://bostonopendata.boston.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/492746f09dde475285b01ae7fc95950e_1

It seems like they have already figured out what address goes on what
building. Should this data set be used rather than the parcel data
set?

The licensing link says the following, it is kind of weird.

"The City of Boston recognizes the value and benefit gained by sharing
GIS data. Although the City has made reasonable efforts to provide
accurate data, the City makes no representations or guarantees about
the accuracy, completeness, or currency of the information provided.
The City of Boston provides this data as is and with all faults, and
makes no warranty of any kind. Each user is responsible for
determining the suitability of the data for their intended use or
purpose. Neither the City nor its affiliates, employees, or agents
shall be liable for any loss or injury caused in whole or in part by
use of any data obtained from this website. The GIS data is updated
and modified on a regular basis and users are encouraged to report any
errors to the City."

I suggest that you move forward with the building splitting, since it
is a manual process, it can proceed like a normal mapping activity.
While the buildings are being cut up, we can work on address import
and make sure it is good shape.  Before I would be comfortable with
the import, I would like to see some sample OSM files we can load into
JOSM to look over.

Jason