[Imports] Building footprints for Bend, Oregon

Andy Zeigert ajzeigert at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:38:14 UTC 2016

> - your plans are still very incomplete, in-detail assessment is not
> possible at this time, you will need to re-post here later for proper
> import assessment according to the guidelines.

Yeah, my group is going to meet and discuss some of the missing pieces
this evening (Oct. 6). There are many aspects of importing (task
management, for example) that are outside my area of expertise, but
members of our group are more familiar with. I wanted to post what we
had so far and hit up this group so I could relay any important
discussion points that might be brought up in the mailing list.

> - the 'permission statement' is not a license statement about the data -
> offering something "as a service to the public for no charge or fee"
> does not mean the public may do anything with that data except looking
> at it and there does not seem to be any more comprehensive statement on
> the download site so you will need to get something more specific and
> elaborate from the owner.

I think someone from the city is going to be at our planning meeting
and I will discuss getting a more clear license. Could someone point
me to a good example that I could show our city GIS rep?

> - your plan outline indicates you plan to add attributes (in particular
> height) to the import data (and possibly also existing data in OSM)
> from separate, automatically produced and originally unrelated data
> without manual per case review - a.k.a. bot mapping.  There are many
> mappers who believe such data should be kept separate and should not
> get into the OSM database because it would make work more difficult
> both for mappers and data users.

I'll post more in-depth documentation on my technique for extracting
building heights from lidar ASAP, but ground-truthing a subset of the
automatically-derived values to develop a confidence interval is part
of it. I think that lidar derivation is a pretty common and accepted
practice for extracting building heights? I think this data would be a
valuable addition to the OSM database, as it's unlikely that this data
will be acquired any other way or entered by users. Perhaps it could
be tagged in a certain way to indicate that it is created by GIS
analysis?

> Have you announced your plans on talk-us? It would be good to get more of the US community involved. You should also join our slack channel, #imports on osmus.slack.com

 This is my first real experience on a wiki. I'm not familiar with
talk-us? How does that work? And could someone invite me to the osmus
slack?

> I'm interested in how you will added building height to building outlines.

Working on an in-depth and easily-repeatable outline on that. Will
post to wiki and here ASAP.