[Imports] [Talk-ca] [Import] Ottawa Buildings & Addresses [Statistics Canada project]

James james2432 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:37:00 UTC 2016

What is highly questionable about two levels of Government reaching out to
the community to help them with complying/importing authoritative data? US
has tiger data(I'm aware it's not the greatest example), Canada has
(CanVec). Now we are down to a municipal level and the data(especially
addresses that they maintain a database of for emergency services, etc) is
incorrect and doesnt match real life. As for the building footprints I have
addressed this already:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import/Plan#Data_quality

We seem to be turning in a circle around "building source data is not
publicly available", it's not because of it's held up by bureaucracy which
is non-constructive. The source data was handed to StatsCan which we use as
our source(I linked you the geojson that has 2 attributes added to it so
JOSM wouldn't render a bunch of tagless ways and could make sense of it, if
you want the original data: remove both tags).

I completely understand that you don't want a bunch of garbage data added
to OSM that will take years to clean up, neither do we, hell it's where we
live and we'd be only punishing ourselves! The thing you have to understand
is this preparation has been going for over a year now (see:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import&action=history
(documentation started)). Even though we had an incompatible license, the
data was still available to play with and analyse

I get your concerns of problems that may arise during this import, this is
what this process is for is it not? To address concerns people may have.

--
外に遊びに行こう!