[Imports] [Talk-ca] [Import] Ottawa Buildings & Addresses [Statistics Canada project]

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Oct 25 13:38:38 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 25 October 2016, James wrote:
> There is also a factual basis in the example Scruss provided:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:12.PNG
>
> TD Place(Renovated/New buildings constructed in Summer 2014) is not
> mapped in the DWG(scruss said as far back as 2011)
> In the newer data it is:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:13.PNG

The fact that a lot of buildings are missing in 12.PNG not all of which
are probably newly built idicates that these two data sets are not
meant to represent the same feature set, likely the one in 12.PNG is
limited to certain types of buildings (like houses).

On Tuesday 25 October 2016, Kevin Farrugia wrote:
> Generally the planimetric CAD drawings (what Stewart posted) are/were
> the source for most municipal building footprints, from what I've
> seen in my experience.

If i understand this correctly that would mean the data set represents
the state of affairs as they are planned, i.e. the plans submitted by
the land owners to obtain permission to build which do not necessarly
match what is actually built in reality or what might have been
demolished or modified without knowledge of the authorities.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/