[Imports] [Imports-us] National Transit Map (US)

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Sep 7 13:56:31 UTC 2016

On 9/7/16 5:51 AM, Andrew Guertin wrote:
> The (US) Department of Transportation recently[1] released the
> National Transit Map (http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/ntm), a compilation
> of transit information from a wide list of regional transit providers.
> I'm not proposing an import myself, but I want to make sure it's
> widely known and I wonder if anyone is looking into an import of it.
>
> It appears the data collected (or at least presented on the online
> map) is transit stops only, with no route information.
>
> Not all transit providers are represented, though the press release
> says "74 percent of the top 50 agencies, and approximately one-third
> of all urban transit agencies with fixed route service".
>
> This seems like a valuable data set if we can use it.
data quality probably varies quite a bit. any import would best be
considered
on a per locality basis, with vetting by local mappers.

i've reviewed some of the data that's been made available by our local
transit
authority here in Albany and the quality was sufficiently poor that it
wasn't
deserving of an import.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net