[Imports] Madrid museums manual import

Santiago Crespo imports-osm at flanera.net
Sat Sep 10 21:11:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 09/10/2016 10:06 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> It is not clear to me as a non-spanish speaker that the attribution
> requirements of the license are met by the way OSM attributes sources
> on the wiki.  You'd normally require explicit permission in those
> cases.

I've already wrote to the city council asking if we could use their open
data for OSM, explaining what OSM is and the fact that we use Open Data
Commons Open Database License (ODbL).

Victoria Anderica Caffarena (head of the city council transparency
project) answered that it is OK, if we respect their conditions.

I asked her if a mention on the contributors section on our site is
enough for their attribution requirement and she told me that she asked
(to their lawyers, I guess) but got no response after some time. She
would contact me again. That was on April 20 and got no response since then.

The Open Data license used by the Madrid city council is very similar to
other Open Data licenses in Spain, created after the Royal Decree
1495/2011, of 24th October. You can read the unofficial english
translation here:

http://datos.gob.es/sites/default/files/files/17nov2011%20English%20Unofficial_%20BOE_A_2011_17560_EN%20RD_1495_2011.pdf

The law says: "The original source of re-usable documents must be
cited." I think that we met this "attribution" requirement by using the
tags source and source:date and adding the city council name on the
contributors page.

> I am missing a clear statement that existing hand mapped information
> will not be replaced by the import without on-the-ground verification.

Good point, added to the wiki.

Thank you,
Santiago Crespo