[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Peter Barth osm-peda at won2.de
Wed Dec 13 21:09:01 UTC 2017

Hi,

first of, I never said ODbL-imports are prohibited (and I guess I
disagree with Tordanik on that case).

What I wanted to say is, that there is kind of a list of preferences
and if you have a look at ODbL data versus PD data, it should be clear
that we prefer PD data. There may be many more possibilities in between.

I think it isn't wrong to point that out to possible importers and to
ask them to invest a little bit of extra time to get more out of it if
possible. With the help of the LWG it might even be possible to find a
phrase that's not PD but almost as good as a normal mapper's work. It's
a shame that imports are so much more strict in a copyright sense than
mappers' work are. That's what I take away from Tordanik's intervention
(well knowing that he wants more ;)).

That being said, I fully agree to the rest of your mail, Russ. I don't
see that changing the license is practially possible anymore, nor am I
interessted in it. I just think that given our CTs and the huge amount
of work that was put into it and its vague phrasing to allow for possible
license changes, we should also put a bit more work into getting better
licenses when we import data.

Peda