[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 01:44:03 UTC 2017

On 12 December 2017 at 21:31, Peter Barth <osm-peda at won2.de> wrote:
> you kind of ask them to accept the CT. I.e. neither asking for our
> specific license in use nor for a copyright reassignment. It's kind of
> asking for a "special license" to allow everything in scope of our CTs.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that this argument disagrees with what
is stated in the import guidelines on the wiki [1], and if this is
actually the case then it should be changed to clarify matters,
ideally by the LWG.

The Contributor Terms are still a license, but they are are a
particularly broad one. Legally, they are not much different to a
public domain license. I expect lawyers for the companies which
control such data might be a bit concerned about committing to such a
broad license, especially one which doesn't have a wide adoption.

Based on the import guidelines, the implication appears to be that the
very broad license in the Contributor Terms does not apply if you're
importing data which is licensed compatibly with the ODbL. This isn't
clear though.

That's not really my point though. My point is that there is a huge
amount of data already in OSM which is either imported from ODbL-only
sources, or could reasonably be argued to be a derivative work of such
sources. I am primarily thinking of the AND Netherlands data here [2],
although there are others.

If the OSMF realistically expects to be able to invoke the
license-change clause in the future, I assume they have a good plan to
expunge all of that data from OSM. So adding a little bit more
(especially a well-documented, limited import of building heights) is
not going to be a problem.

My impression, though, is that OSM is so intertwined with ODbL-only
licensed data that it's not going to be feasible to alter the license
without entirely wiping entire geographical areas.

Cheers,

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines#Step_3_-_License_approval
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/AND_Data

--