[Imports] Walmart import

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Dec 16 06:00:20 UTC 2017

I haven't looked at the dataset yet to compare to what's already been
mapped, since I've mapped a few of these now as they're often the most
significant landmark in small cities where one is located.

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12/15/2017 11:31 PM, Damian Rollison wrote:
> > We ask that you please take a look at the data at the following site and
> > check the tagging and locations:
>
> I have little knowledge of Walmart and therefore should leave the floor
> to  people with local knowledge. I see that another commenter has
> already assessed your contribution to be superior with no questions
> asked within an amazingly short time. I hope you will find more diligent
> reviewers like him; careful reviews like that are what make an import a
> success for both businesses and the community.
>
> I have randomly selected only one of the > 4000 objects from the browse
> link (http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/nampa.jpg) and have the
> following observations/questions, but ultimately this is of course
> something the US community should decide and I'm an ocean away.
>
> 1. Do you happen to have building outlines too, or is there a process by
> which whoever adds the thing to OSM can quickly add the building outline
> from aerial imagery? It seems like not too much extra work, if one looks
> at 4000 POIs anyway, to quickly trace a building to go with it.

My concern along this line is how to handle Walmart locations that have
been mapped out in detail by department.  This is somewhat common, and
helps to decide which entrance to park closest to and go into (automotive,
garden, home or grocery), as these sites tend to be larger than some small
towns here.  Some of the older stores in this region still have the red
line around the store that's exactly one mile long (typically on the
outermost aisle, or for larger stores, perhaps an aisle in).

> 2. In my particular example, there seems to be a pharmacy in OSM that is
> mapped separately, but also called "Wal-Mart". The import does nothing
> to the pharmacy. I don't know if all Wal-Marts have a pharmacy - the
> pharmacy POI is certainly within the Wal-Mart building. Is that a
> completely separate issue, or would e.g. your opening times information
> apply to the pharmacy as well?

The pharmacy, the automotive department, and sometimes the electronics
department, don't usually hold the same hours as the rest of the store.
This is particularly true of Supercenter locations that are open 24/7.

3. Personally I am a bit skeptical about the shop names; I see that in
> my example you are changing "Wal-Mart" to "Walmart Supercenter" and I
> assume that Wal-Mart will, like many other chains, have different
> classes of supermarkets and will have different trade names for these -
> super, hyper, metro, local, whatever. I'm not sure if these
> chain-specific denominations are really desirable to have in the name
> tag; they seem to me to be more a marketing tool than anything else. I
> have checked Google Street View for this particular Walmart bulding and
> the sign on the building just says "Walmart", not "Walmart Supercenter".
> I would probably be tempted to map it as such - i.e. "name=Walmart", not
> "name=Walmart Supercenter". (It's also easier on the map - a longer name
> runs a higher risk of being dropped due to space constraints.)

Walmart actually has a few chains here, and removed the hyphen a while
ago.  In Tulsa, we have Walmart Supercenter, Walmart Neighborhood Market,
and Sam's Club.  I'm not sure if Murphy USA gas stations and convenience
stores are also Walmart or not, but if that's the case, then four chains
here...