[Imports] Walmart import

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Sat Dec 16 15:51:18 UTC 2017

Our import policy is quickly becoming obsolete. It was quite fine in
times where there were 1-2 imports a month, led by experienced members
of OpenStreetMap.

But soon we will see a company wanting to import 200 datasets of various
business chains at once. That would be 200 imports, and each of these
has to go through the community twice, as guidelines suggest?

What about data updates — they are also imports, although of a lesser
quantity. For weekly updates, should we do the community buy-in and
community verification every week? For each of the imports approced
earlier, which count will quickly surpass a hundred?

The UK import of fuel stations turned seven months last week. It had
multiple discussions on two mailing lists. The company pulled back from
the import after five months, I am finishing it myself now. Do you think
this is good for OpenStreetMap?

We can strive for the 100% verified, home-made organic nodes, or we
could improve our policies about importing data, at least from companies
that are endorsed by companies to publish their business locations.

Ilya