[Imports] Walmart import

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 21:52:50 UTC 2017

On 16/12/2017 15:51, Ilya Zverev wrote:

> The UK import of fuel stations turned seven months last week. It had
> multiple discussions on two mailing lists. The company pulled back
> from the import after five months, I am finishing it myself now. Do
> you think this is good for OpenStreetMap?

For completeness, the "imports" thread from May is at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2017-May/thread.html#4956
and the equivalent "talk-gb" thread at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-May/thread.html#20205
. The actual data was found to have useful components, but had a number
of errors (invalid street names and implausible opening hours among
others).  You then raised it again last month
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-November/020828.html
, and then just over three weeks ago announced
http://audit.osmz.ru/project/shell in
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-November/020928.html
.  That (and presumably also http://audit.osmz.ru/project/walmart ) is a
great way to check through the data and to determine the tags to be
copied over.

There are still things that would benefit from verification though; in
the Shell case for example "NVDS353-12302183"
http://audit.osmz.ru/run/shell/NVDS353-12302183 is suggested to be added
as a new node when https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5249220844 is
clearly the item to be updated (it's relatively new, but has preseumably
been mapped from survey and is also on ESRI's imagery for the area).
I'd expect the same to be true of Walmart - lots of the data will be
correct, but it'll still need checking to pick up the occasional issue.

Best Regards,

Andy