[Imports] US Sports Fields Import

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 19:51:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have trained a neural network to find baseball, basketball, and
baseball fields in satellite images. It was trained using OSM and bing
tiles. Using the neural network I have mapped 2,800 new fields in the
US northeast, I would like to import the missing fields back into OSM.

Wiki project page :
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/US_Sports_Fields_Import_2018
Github: https://github.com/jremillard/images-to-osm

Details

In November of 2017 all of the mapped baseball, basketball, and tennis
courts in Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and
Pennsylvania were used to train a neural network.

The import data was created by

Running the neural network over the training Bing satellite images to
identify the missing sports fields from OSM. Fields found by the
network but not in OSM are passed to the next step.

A visual QA script shows the newly mapped features over the Bing
satellite images, the user approves or rejects the edits. I rejected
any way that wasn't an excellent match to the satellite images.

The final OSM files are created from the ways selected by myself in
the visual QA script.

The ways are tagged with leisure=pitch, plus the sport=* tag.

The changeset tags will be comment="Imported data, phase 1,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/US_Sports_Fields_Import_2018", and
source="Bing", import=yes

The jremillard-import account will be used to upload the 2 osm files.
The OSM files are already split to be under the 10,000 item limit on a
changeset. They will be uploaded with josm.

Prior to starting the project I emailed Microsoft bing licensing group
describing the project and received approval to use the Bing satellite
images for this purpose. Also, the QA script qualifies as a visual
editor in the existing OSM Bing license. The two final output files
are in the public domain.

Post Import Cleanup - Some imported ways may overlap with existing OSM
data. Specifically, any sport fields added since November, sports
fields that are tagged incorrectly, and sport fields that is a
relation might overlap with the uploaded data. After the files are
uploaded, all of the ways, and relations with the sport= tag will be
checked for overlaps and manually fixed. It is expected that just a
handful of issues will be found in the post cleanup.

Jason