[Imports] Seattle Sidewalks Import (v2 - testing)

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 05:01:04 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

That's a good clarifying point, if I understand it correctly. There are
local OSM communities that map sidewalks one way, others that map the
other, and some with a mix and haven't committed to one or the other. In
addition, I'd say that the most common situation is that they aren't mapped
at all.

Regarding what I was calling a "test import", hopefully I can allay some of
your (very reasonable) concerns.

The process we're using is actually extremely manual, and almost amounts to
opening up JOSM and adding features from scratch. We prepopulate one block
at a time in JOSM, edit every node of the new data, use multiple sources
for ground truthing (Bing/Mapillary/OpenStreetCam/Field Papers), and add
notes for areas that need in-person verification. I guess I would argue
that it's essentially armchair mapping, aside from the supplemental Field
Papers work, and it's done by locals. It also happens to be a neighborhood
I'm personally very familiar with.

I didn't intend to head off discussion of the import in general, so sorry
for giving that impression. I'll be sending another email to the mailing
list prior to us doing anything outside the University District, and we'll
be soliciting all of the appropriate feedback.

For our tagging schema proposal, I believe it's in need of some tweaks
before submitting an RFC, mostly to clarify what is new and what isn't. For
example, much of the schema is simply collecting tags as they're used in
the wild and elsewhere in the wiki, and suggesting how they can be combined
to represent a pedestrian transportation network. But I want to reiterate
that for now, the tags we are using for the University District in Seattle
do not represent any new key:value pairs, are used in many locales, and are
actually a subset of those used in the often-given example of Graz.

Best,

Nick