[Imports] Fayetteville, AR Building Footprints Import

Jon Schleuss gaufre at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 18:17:29 UTC 2017

Hi Mike,

Great idea!

I used to live in Fayetteville and now I'm out in Los Angles helping out
with the building import here.

I agree with Frederik and Clifford about trying to get someone to help you.
We've used our import to build some community around the import. It's a bit
tedious so we've only hand a handful of events. That said, your address and
building attributes would go a long way in improving the data itself.

Maybe, though, the Fayetteville Flyer could get involved? Or possibly the
NW Democrat-Gazette? If they want a free way to make more maps for their
news stories this could provide an incentive to improve the data.

In regards to the data/tagging, it looks like some of these houses are
tagged as building=detached. I think it'd be more appropriate to tag them
building=house. For duplexes building=residential. And for
apartments/condos usually building=apartments. The default is building=yes.
Are there possibly more data tags you could add that would be of value?
Maybe when the house was built, a unique property ID number or unit count?

I'd also suggest creating a page on wiki.openstreetmap.org to detail the
data and the import. Here's a link to ours:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Los_Angeles,_California/Buildings_Import

And finally, how did the city collect the data and how old is it? Sometimes
the satellite imagery is more up-to-date than the data. You may also be
able to tie into more up to date imagery collected by the city since that
would likely fall into the public domain under the Arkansas Public Records
Act. For instance, the tile server here looks to have pretty good imagery
(I'm not sure on the age):
http://gis2.accessfayetteville.org/faygis/rest/services/BaseMaps/Aerial_Current_WGS84/MapServer/tile/8/678760/250154

I'm happy to connect off-list if you have any questions or need an
introduction with the Flyer/DemGaz folk.

cheers,
Jon

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
> wrote:
>
>>    are there any local mappers in Fayetteville or in the vicinity that
>> you could invite to help with your project?
>>
>> If that was possible then you'd have a larger group who feel responsible
>> for the data set and it wouldn't be your responsibility alone. In the
>> best outcome, this could even help invigorate local mapping efforts.
>>

> +1 to Frederik's suggestion.
>

> --
> @osm_seattle
> osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us