[Imports] Building imports, Auckland, New Zealand

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Wed Jul 26 21:55:24 UTC 2017

Hi Robin,

Am 19.07.2017 um 13:55 schrieb Robin Paulson:
> This appears to be an import with no documentation, community buy-in
> or any of the other things required for an import:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/50399337#map=16/-36.8926/174.6816
>
> This has happened at least twice before with this data set, building
> outlines provided by Auckland Council. Each time I bring it up, the
> importers stop and wait, then start again with a different area of the
> city.
>
> This sub-section is the only reference I can find on the wiki to
> importing buildings in Auckland:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ#Local_Council_Data
>
> Folks, there is a process for importing data. It is outlined here:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
>
> I have written to that user asking he stop and read the guidelines.

It is an import account of user ralley. I told him two weeks ago that a
dedicated account has to be used for an import and he created it afterwards.

I did not check his answer in detail. From my point of view
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ
is no nice import documentation page. It contains the necessary
information about the license but all other information is difficult to
find and hidden. Where is the matching between the attributes in the
source data and OSM tags?

It would be good if the people who want to import the data tidy up the
wiki pages related to LINZ before they continue.

In addition, I don't know when the import of buildings and waterways was
discussed on this mailing list.

Best regards

Michael