[Imports] New Zealand address import

Eliot Blennerhassett ewblen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 05:46:38 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,

On 14/06/17 12:31, Andrew Harvey wrote:

>> LINZ:address_id
>
> What happens when users correct or change the address, what does this ID
> then mean? Should the user delete this tag when they make their changes,
> if it is deleted is that bad and would it be right for someone else to
> add it back in?

The id makes it much easier to detect this kind of thing and enable
review.  Is the LINZ source data in error? or has the mapper made a
spelling mistake in the street name.
If an address point has been moved far from its original LINZ location,
it will be easier to find it for review.

Also, it retains a distinction between 'manually' created addresses
(before or after the first import) and the imported data.

> Or is it better to as you say, keep a mapping of LINZ to
> osm_id's externally?

That could be done.  But it seems to me that puts the onus on every
mapper who helps with the upload having to capture this connection
somehow, and then aggregate those somewhere, and distribute the result
somehow.  Perhaps some kind of publicly accesible map database would be
the way to do this...

>From your other email:
>> Nodes with only addr:housenumber that aren't part of a relation, and
nodes with only addr:housenumber and addr:street - add linz data, move
to linz location.

> Why move to the LINZ location? If people want the LINZ location they can
> use LINZ directly,
> the location in OSM might be better, and I would
> advice caution moving it without a ground survey.

You have a point.  I'm happy to drop this, or soften it to "Human review
of where the node is located vs the LINZ location"

Perhaps I should more clearly split the proposal into current:
(1) Import of addresses that aren't already in OSM

and later:
(2) Reconciliation of existing addresses matched with linz on
housenumber and location only as to why they didn't match on streetname
also.  Part of this would be adding addr:street to those that are
lacking it.

(3) Checking of OSM addresses that didn't match with any LINZ address on
housenumber and proximity (by my assesment about 3800 of these).  Why
didn't they.

Some choice examples
housenumber="-"  I've already fixed a lot of these as a result of my
research.
housenumber="Te Nuku 43"
housenumber="Shop 8, Harakeke Mall   134-136"
housenumber="Cnr Bealey Ave and Colombo St"
housenumber="Room 123, James Hight Building"

Some others are due to some enthusiastic mapper assigning the same
address to every shed, garage and barn on a property.
My personal opinion is that a single address node is the way to go.

I'm doing my utmost not to conflict with existing work.  I certainly
don't propose to delete anything that is already there.

--
Eliot