[Imports] Facebook's AI-Assisted Road Tracing for OSM

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Mar 15 16:30:56 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 15 March 2017, Denis Carriere wrote:

> Have you even looked at the sample dataset provided before speaking?

What makes you think i have not?

I did not discuss the sample data set because - quoting myself:

> Because the data is not available in full at the moment i
> will refrain from commenting on this just based on the small sample
> you attached which might or might not be representative for the whole
> country and for which it is unclear to what extent manual editing has
> already been applied.

> The imagery that DigitalGlobe provides is used for computational
> purposes and won't be distributed for free, the imagery data used to
> create this data isn't usable for viewing purposes (it's for
> computers to do machine learning).
>
> Bing & Mapbox imagery can't be compared since it only has RGB bands
> vs. having all 12 bands provided by WorldView 3 or other satellite
> sources.
>
> [...]

My comments and questions were based on the assumptions that Facebook is
using the DigitalGlobe Basemap +Vivid product which is a three channel
RGB product AFAIK.  I see no basis for assuming anything else (and FWIW
i specifically asked if they are using anything else).  I also see no
basis for the assumption that Facebook is working with time series here
(that is multiple images from different dates in combination).

> Why are you even questioning the experience of the OSM Facebook
> importers when yourself wasn't even able to determine the difference
> between the imported data and the existing OSM data.

Huh?

Even if you were right about my ability to review the sample data (which
you were not) that would not in any way disqualify me from asking the
questions i have asked.

I also have not questioned the experience of those working for Facebook
in this matter, i have asked what this experience is.

Please do not try to turn this into a question on who is competent to
assess the import plans and therefore has a right to ask questions and
to comment.  The import review process is open to anyone interested no
matter what knowledge and experience.  It is unfortunate enough that
there are only fairly few people here who do review work, it is not a
good idea to further discourage participation by creating a hostile
atmosphere.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/