[Imports] Importing data

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 02:02:05 UTC 2017

Hi, Patricia:

You basically have to follow the import guidelines [1].

That means you have to, first make sure that the data license is ODbL
compatible or get a permission from the copyright holders to import the
data into OSM. Then you have to contact the Australian OSM community
(Mailing list here: [2]) and discuss there. If the idea gets good
acceptance, then all the import process has to be written in a wiki, and
finally discuss all that in the imports list, to get a final review by
the overall OSM community.

It may look discouraging, but it's not that difficult if you are really
interested. I am sure there will be people who will guide through the
process. And all those rules are there to prevent bad undiscussed
imports, some of which we are suffering after years the were done.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines