[Imports] Importing fuel stations in UK and future similar imports

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu May 11 22:04:29 UTC 2017

On 5/11/2017 8:39 AM, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Together with the NavAds company, we plan to import a thousand Shell fuel stations to the United Kingdom.

Don't forget that the consultation with the community is both the
imports@ list and the local community. Because the data seems to cover
Great Britain, not the United Kingdom, I'd recommend the talk-gb@ list.

>   The source is official, which means, Shell company specifically shared the dataset to put them on maps. Do you have any objections or questions?

An import needs to be documented on the wiki. In that documentation
please include tags you propose using, permission for the data, how you
plan to match it to OSM data, how conflicts will be handled, and any
other information people will need to understand what you propose, and
also so people can understand what happened when looking back in a
couple of years.

> The import is done with the OSM Conflator script. It matches dataset points to all amenity=fuel nodes and polygons inside a 50 meter radius. If found, the object is not moved, but tags are updated from the dataset.

That wouldn't work here where we have gas stations closer than 50m to
each other, and in general, where gas stations are close together, even
if only one is mapped. Does that not happen in GB?

>   The object gets correct opening hours, uniform brand and operator tags, and so on. If there is no fuel station in OSM there, it is created as a node.

How are conflicts other than position handled?

> Check out the resulting visualization here:http://bl.ocks.org/d/70742fe51e281cb2cd5a80b8eb1e8e11  (markers are clickable; blue means modified object, green — new one).

I recommend displaying this on top of a layer which shows gas stations
(e.g. OpenStreetMap Carto), as this would make it much easier to review.

>   Can you find anything wrong that we can fix?

What kind of verification have you done, both of new nodes you're
proposing to create, and of changes where there is a conflict?
Spot-checking what you want to do is essential for finding problems.

> You might prefer openinghttp://bl.ocks.org/anonymous/raw/70742fe51e281cb2cd5a80b8eb1e8e11/map.geojson  inhttp://geojson.io  or iD editor to see the data on top of a satellite imagery layer.
>
> Every object is given a "ref:navads_shell" tag with an identifier, which will later be used for updating the data.

The general view seems to be against IDs like this. If I'm reading it
correctly, this is an unverifiable ID that isn't from the property
owner, but a third party?

Right now there's no documentation of how you plan to update, so you'll
need to consult with the community again, or document that now.

> After this import there will be others of similar nature and quality.

You'll need to consult with the local communities of where you are
proposing imports later. Some of what's gets discussed here will apply
to them, but not everything.