[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Vincent Frison vincent.frison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:27:26 UTC 2017

> On 01.11.2017 18:56, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> > What you says applies to every import not PD, CC0 or PDDL licensed, as
> > stated here:
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/ODbL_Compatibility
>
> In addition to those, there's also the possibility of an explicit
> permission for OSM, as I mentioned in my first mail. I hope someone with
> more legal knowledge than myself can properly answer Vincent's question
> about the wording of that permission.
>
> > I can't see why Vincent's proposed import is different from other
> > imports we already did in the past (ODbL, CC-BY or OGL licensed).
>
> There's nothing special about Vincent's proposed import from this legal
> point of view. In my opinion, we should indeed refrain from importing
> data under such licenses as a general rule.
>
> That such imports have been performed in the past is true. At least in
> my case, however, the reason why I didn't raise similar objections back
> then is simply that I didn't pay close enough attention.

As I understand it so far, there has always been a certain laxity in the
previous imports, but we should now be more rigorous. Damn I'm not lucky
that it falls on my import ;)

But in this case I think we really need help with an explicit authorization
model to ask the owners. Because there personnally I do not even see how I
could formulate my question and I think that must be the case for most
people who make imports into OSM.