[Imports] Transmountain Expansion Project (British Columbia-Alberta)

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Nov 7 21:17:47 UTC 2017

Sergei,
Is the path complete or just proposed? From looking at the imagery of the
north end of the Burnaby segment you added, it appears to cross the Barnet
Highway which doesn't appear safe to me.

To your question about process, first read the import guidelines [1] and
discuss your plans with the local community. If you haven't join the
Vancouver OSM group [2] I would suggest joining and talk over your plans
with the group. Once you get all that done, then create an import page on
the wiki. The page should describe the import you plan, where the data
comes from and  how it's licensed. The plan should also describe how you
plan to conflate the data with existing data. For example, if a the
Transmountain trail is reusing part of an existing trail, how are you going
to handle that.

Once you get the page built, then announce it on this list.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
[2] https://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Vancouver/

Best,
Clifford

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Sergei Van Hardeveld <
daedalus2134 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, my name is Sergei,  I am a resident of Vancouver BC and am working
> on mapping the Transmountain Expansion Project (https://www.
> wildernesscommittee.org/kindermorgan) or for Transmountain's position you
> can see transmountain.com
> Wilderness committee has already produced a map which you can find here
> https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/blog/kinder_morgan_pipeline_watch_map
> The person who has made the map told me that he can provide any files or
> data needed to import to openstreetmap, I'm contacting this list because I
> would like to be able to import whatever data he has instead of entering
> everything manually though I have the Burnaby Segment complete (
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/538141654)
>
> - I hope this makes sense, I'm wondering about the process/data required
> to import the kind of data that would basically just make a path from
> Burnaby to Alberta I understand from the wiki that asking first is the
> preferred arrangement.
> Thanks for your assistance
>
> - Sergei

@osm_seattle