[Imports] One user, many imports, many accounts?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 00:33:15 UTC 2017

Oops, sent this from the wrong account, and I know the system will bounce it:

I've done several imports, wtih separate accounts. One reason for this
is that I can see the changes that went into each import easily from
the web UI of OSM, by pulling up the change history of the account
that did the import.

None of the imports was more than a few hundred areas or relations, so I
didn't feel the need to work out how to use the tasking manager and
bring others up to speed. I'm a competent programmer, and was able to
begin the import of most objects with mechanical edits (an external
script commanding JOSM to download specific data and make particular
changes, often in a new layer to then be copied-and-pasted). The
manual work after the mechanical edit ranged from seconds ("OK, that
looks good, and nothing was there in the map before") to hours ("Oh
$LC_DEITY, I have to conflate this thing with the shoreline and
islands of Lake XXX").

I can't recall having messed up and done an import with my own account
rather than the import. But I've messed up and gone the other way,
doing ordinary edits under an import account. I've not reverted those
edits. I added changeset comments describing the mistake.