[Imports] Heads up: Building Canada 2020

James james2432 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 23:18:02 UTC 2017

Maybe you misunderstood the meaning of "border line" meaning not exactly
and is not.

Statistics Canada is in no way the leader on the project, the osm community
is. They mearly started the discussion to have a better map and to talk to
cities to make their data available to the community.

As Stevea said 2020 is an ideal goal or a milestone. It doesnt mean it's
going to happen.

On Oct 18, 2017 7:09 PM, "Christoph Hormann" <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

On Thursday 19 October 2017, James wrote:
> Frederik, I completely agree that OSM costs money to maintain and
> that the servers will require additional disk space to hold
> information. But to say give us money because you are adding a lot of
> geo-information to an open source project to make it more detailed
> seems border line blackmail.

No, calling this blackmail is like saying if i send a customer a bill
for services rendered that would be blackmail.

Statistics Canada apparently wants something from OSM, namely to add and
maintain data for them and permanently provide it to interested parties
for the forseeable future.  It is completely appropriate to ask for
something in return.

Of course it is possible that Statistics Canada is trying to find people
who do all the footwork for them for free - and from an economic
standpoint that kind of makes sense.  That is the decision of every
individual involved then.  But this does not mean the rest of the OSM
community and the OSMF have to fall in line behind them.

Ultimately this has also a lot to do with public image.  Statistics
Canada has to decide if they want to purpuse their formal goal at
minimum costs at the risk of appearing to be ruthless and abusive of
the OSM community or if they want to pursue this in open and honest
dialogue with everyone in OSM to the mutural benefit of all.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/