[Imports] Worldwide fuel stations import, 59k objects

Levente Juhász jlevente89 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 19:32:05 UTC 2018

Hi All,

Generally, I think imports can be super useful if carefully executed. This
includes precise documentation. More importantly, as Christoph pointed out,
local communities should be involved as we just simply don't know whether
they've already put efforts into mapping gas stations, or if they've
already agreed on some country specific best practices. I don't think
overriding their previous work with a global import is a good idea.

Also, I checked a few data points manually and have the following comments:

1) Phone number patterns should follow the same rules within the dataset.
E.g. "+36 62 464 024" (
http://audit.osmz.ru/browse/navads_fuel/NVDS353_10201112) in Hungary vs "+1
561-544-6012" (http://audit.osmz.ru/browse/navads_fuel/NVDS353_10008561) in
the US (dashes/no dashes in the local part of the number). See the wiki (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:phone#Usage) for example patterns.

2) Some urls don't point to the specific station. E.g. for this station:
http://audit.osmz.ru/browse/navads_fuel/NVDS353_10201112   website=
http://www.shell.hu/products-services/on-the-road/shell-station-locator.html?id=10201112&modeselected=true
will
be redirected to:
https://www.shell.hu/autosok/shell-station-locator.html#vanity-aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2hlbGwuaHUvcHJvZHVjdHMtc2VydmljZXMvb24tdGhlLXJvYWQvc2hlbGwtc3RhdGlvbi1sb2NhdG9yLmh0bWw
which is not a unique page of that station. Same thing with Shell in Poland
(e.g. http://audit.osmz.ru/browse/navads_fuel/NVDS353_10034854). In these
cases, a general website pointing to www.shell.hu or www.shell.pl would be
a better choice if you want to add a website. Additional url parameters
here just don't serve any purpose without the correct pattern, therefore I
don't think they should be used added.

I'm not familiar with the OSM Conflator tool but it would be great to know
what parameters it uses for finding already existing OSM features. I
randomly found the following example:
http://audit.osmz.ru/browse/navads_fuel/NVDS106_1073560996PL0 which shows a
newly created feature (green) and a feature to be modified (blue). In this
case, those feature refer to the same gas station so it should be a simple
update. I'm wondering about the conflation parameters and if you've tested
different values and evaluated the differences. I'm also wondering if you
have a general idea about the number of similar cases. This is the
information that would be helpful in the import documentation. This
scenario is also related to 1) above since the phone number is about to be
updated with the same value, in a different format. Quite possibly the
updated pattern is the correct one, but I'd ask the Polish community
whether the old value was intentional or not.

All in all, this could be a great addition, but I think the import workflow
needs some more work.

Cheers,
Levente