[Imports] Worldwide fuel stations import, 59k objects

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Mar 8 15:07:32 UTC 2018

On Thursday 08 March 2018, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> It hurts me a bit that instead of clearly and unambigously saying "I
> am against this and any other cross-country imports, regardless of
> their nature and sources", you are pulling all the obscure Import
> Guidelines points to make me do tons of extra community work, like
> finding communication channels for ~20 countries and convincing every
> single mapper on these, in their local languages.
>
> This is what people are talking when they write about CoC. [...]

I am not sure if you are aware of the irony here - you criticize me for
citing and arguing with codified standards and in the next sentence
argue with the need for codified standards to prevent me arguing by
citing codified standards...

My aim here was to participate in an import review under the import
guidelines and as part of this i considered it appropriate to refer to
these guidelines and what seems to be missing in this and the previous
import you refer to w.r.t. those.

If that was not your intention with your mail i apologize for
misunderstanding you.  If you want to in general discuss the
possibility of worldwide imports and use the fuel stations merely as an
example that is a different matter and criticizing you for not yet
having proper documentation for this was premature.

I would however in that case re-affirm my assessment that the local
communities affected need to have the opportunity to review and discuss
and possibly reject or request changes for the import plan for their
respective country and not just collectively world wide.  The primacy
of the local community is a a very fundamental principle of OSM in my
eyes and it is outside the scope of this mailing list to supersede it.

One way this could be accomplished efficiently is by recruiting
rapporteurs for your plan for the different local communities who
manage the local consultation.  If the plan is seen with favour in
general it should not be too difficult to find such people.

You could also consider excluding smaller countries with just a handful
of features from the import plan and manually review and add the data
there (again possibly with the help of interested local mappers)
without an import.

And since you seem to make a different assumption - for my own local
community in Germany i think this data is probably quite useful - not
necessarily for an import (there would likely be very few features to
be newly added anyway so it would be more a mechanical edit anyway) but
maybe more for checking completeness and finding missing features (in a
similar way as we do with address lists to check completeness of
addresses).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/