[Imports] Importing Kerala, India road network from Facebook's ML generated data

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 17:36:06 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 3:40 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Blake, since you're quite outspoken in this discussion, perhaps you
> could start with transparency - are you just helping out with
> communications here or do you have any specific role in this project
> and/or concerning the HOT-Facebook liaison and/or with HOT Indonesia? Is
> your involvement with HOT entirely voluntary or do you have a paid
> position? Who has directed/asked the HOT Indonesia folks to contribute
> to the Kerala mapping? Are they doing that voluntarily or are they paid
> for it? If they are paid for it, then who pays them?

I do not have any role in the import process, I am just trying to
support the local OSM mappers in India in whatever way they feel helps
the most.

I created regular HOT mapping projects to improve the roads and map
buildings Kerala.

Naveen (a local OSM Kerala mapper) found the roads improvement
projects really slow going, as they usually do because of the large
area to cover, and he asked Drishtie if her team might be able to
help. Naveen linked to the tweet he sent to Drishtie asking if her
team could please help their efforts at road mapping in another email
in this thread.

So I suspended the HOT mapping projects for roads until the import is
finished. In the mean time, if I can support them by helping maintain
the wiki page for the import or answer questions on the import list,
etc, I am happy to do so. I will also create a Tasking Manager project
for the local OSM folks to use to review the imported data when the
import process is completed.

I do paid work a few hours a week (5 hours to be exact) for HOT. to
support the Missing Maps group, Tasking Manager support, and any other
activities around the organization that need doing, but I volunteer a
good many hours more than that each week as well. All of the Kerala
flooding related stuff is volunteer time for me.

The rest of your questions, I am not sure what exactly the answers are
so I'll let someone else who does know answer.

cheers
blake