[Imports] Import of forests, farmland and other types of land cover for Sweden generated from Naturvårdsverkets Nationella Marktäckedata 2018

Nate Wessel bike756 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 14:06:23 UTC 2019

I tend to agree with Frederik on this.

I'm not quite sure why there's a feeling that all places need to be
mapped at some minimum level of detail. Just because one area has e.g.
landuses that doesn't mean all the countryside needs them too for
consistency. I see this inconsistency of detail/completeness as one of
the strengths of OSM actually. Places that are missing data now would
presumably have less accurate data if there were an import that didn't
involve extensive engagement from local mappers. When the data is not
there at least you can see what's missing and replace it in your
personal projects with data from other sources.

Importing huge amounts of data just produces stale data if we do little
in the meantime to cultivate engaged mappers. And in that regard, I
think we lead by example to a large degree. If we show new members of
this OSM community that big things get done through (sometimes
contentious) imports, then that is how new contributors are likely to
engage with the project. If we instead demonstrate that a lot can be
accomplished by individuals mapping the areas they know personally, then
perhaps that is the outcome we will see more of.

Cheers,

Nate Wessel
Jack of all trades, Master of Geography, PhD candidate in Urban Planning
NateWessel.com <http://natewessel.com>