[Imports] Import of forests, farmland and other types of land cover for Sweden generated from Naturvårdsverkets Nationella Marktäckedata 2018

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 14:59:10 UTC 2019

I also agree generally with Frederik‘s 2 posts, besides the dismissal of building importance ;-)
Buildings are quite useful for ground mappers to orient when they add features like restaurants, shops, addresses and when they are mapped you don’t need a GPS unit or aerial imagery any more to add these things, you can typically do it based on the buildings.
Also buildings change slower than a lot of other things that we map (there are new buildings that will miss in old data and sometimes they get torn down, but compared to shops or restaurants there is generally less movement).
There is also fewer need for interpretation (especially if you map them as „yes“-types). While a 100
people tracing forests will likely produce 100 different versions, I would expect the 100 buildings to look all the same, the corners of a building are clear, those of a forest often less so.
And you can read a lot from building footprints, their shapes, orientation, configuration etc.

Cheers, Martin