[Imports] Proposed automated edit: admin_centre linking

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 01:31:09 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 7:21 PM Imre Samu <pella.samu at gmail.com> wrote:
> checking your algorithm:
> > "search for place node with the same name as the admin relation"
> ( from https://github.com/krizleebear/osm-polygons/tree/master/osm-admincentre-resolve#implementation-details )
>
> imho:
> IF only the "name=" tags should be equal ..
> THEN  it is sometimes False matching expected ..  ( at least in Hungary )

> imho:
> - limit only for relation admin_level=8 ...

I'm not sure even that helps.  The village of Hempstead, New York
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/174472, admin_level=8) is not
the Town of Hempstead
(admin_level=7, and appears to be unmapped. I prefer to let the locals
figure out the political boundaries down that way because it's
complicated.)  Paradoxically, the town hall for the township is in the
village, nut it would be wrong to assume that the village is the admin
center of the town.

More familiarly, New York City (admin_level=5) is not the capital of
New York State.