[Imports] Proposed automated edit: admin_centre linking

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 5 20:36:24 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-04 23:52, krizleebear wrote:

> Hello OSM community,
>
> I'd like to propose an automated edit regarding "admin_centre linking".

I would recommend against doing this automatically in the UK, for
various reasons:

1) Most admin boundaries that need them have admin_centres already -
point out the missing ones by all means
2) Many admin areas have a name which is not shared by any kind of place
(although you might be able to get a match by removing stopwords like
"City of "
3) There are many cases of admin areas that exist legally, but do not
have any local government organ at present. There is therefore no
"admin" going on, which means there cannot be an admin centre. In this
case a "label" may be appropriate.
4) There are many cases of adjoining, but legally distinct, admin areas
with a common council, and hence a common admin centre
5) There are a few cases of extra-territorial admin centres (council
offices that are not actually within their own jurisdiction)
6) There are a few cases of an admin area which is legally shared by
adjoining councils

As you are outside the UK, I assume you are not familiar with all the
idiosyncrasies of British local government. By all means run your scan,
then let us take a good look at the results, without any automatic or
well-intentioned armchair "improvements".