[Imports] Handling old tree import done without discussion and with unclear copyright status

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jul 17 10:13:15 UTC 2019

Some time ago I found old undiscussed import and I want to check is it necessary/desirable
to amend or revert it.

------

It was earlier discussed on https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-lv/2019-July/thread.html <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-lv/2019-July/thread.html>
and in https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/57269387 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/57269387>

First issue is unknown copyright status of the data. So far I found no indication that
dataset is on open license.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/57269387 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/57269387> has claim that
"Data layers are measured by surveyors, which can't be copyrighted." that is dubious for me.

------

At this moment it seems to me that getting official permission to use this data is necessary -
is there somewhere template for doing this?

I found so far https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Waiver_and_Permission_Templates <https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Waiver_and_Permission_Templates>
but it is not applicable to data requiring more than just a waiver.