[Imports] Import of Community Water Wells/Boreholes in Harare Zimbabwe

Jason Owen jasono at ziva.africa
Thu May 2 15:33:41 UTC 2019

Dear Rory,

Thanks for your comments. Apologies for the delayed response. Here are my

I have updated my wiki page to include a link to the data and a link to the
email from MSF re: public domain.

I had a look at the `amenity=drinking_water` points and agree with you its
worth while conflating these too.

In terms of updating the Zimbabwe community - please could you direct me to
the relevant discussion page? I informed the Africa mailing list and I've
have informed steering committee members of OSM Zimbabwe in person.

In terms of the continued updating of the data -- the borehole data will be
used in an ongoing service monitoring project in Harare where people can
report faults with community water points. This is done via a website -
www.smartharare.org which uses OSM as its basemap.

Kind Regards,

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 11:09 AM Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> I read over your wiki page. Can you please link to the data you want to
> import? Can you please provide evidence of that it's in the public
> domain? I presume you have something in writing from MSF, just
> link/include/upload that.
>
> Can you provide links to your discussion with the appropriate local
> community
>
> You say "Water point data will be maintained and updated with the help
> of the OSM community in Zimbabwe and the MSF team. " Can you tell us
> more about that? What have you planned? Who has committed to look after
> this? What sort, and how much, resources will MSF provide?
>
> There are some `amenity=drinking_water` tagged around Harare. How
> different is that from what you'd like to upload? Would it be worth
> "conflating" in that too?
>
> I suggest adding `import=yes` to the changeset tags.
>
> All the best,
>
> On 05/04/2019 09:46, Jason Owen wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Please find a draft plan for importing on water well data in Harare
> > Zimbabwe:
> >
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/Harare_Water_Wells
> >
> > Your comments and guidance greatly appreciated,
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Jason

Jason Owen | Co-Founder

+263-776-26-4218