[Imports] Import of buildings from Zanzibar into OpenStreetMap

Justus Muhando justus at spatialcollective.com
Tue Sep 17 19:33:12 UTC 2019

Hi Mateusz,

Thanks. See responses to your questions below.

(0)
Thanks for working on making this data available and for following the
import procedure!

Our pleasure.

(1)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Zanzibar_Building_Import
has
"all new buildings will be tagged with the building=:yes tag"

it should be building=yes tag, without : sign (the same for changeset
source tag).

Fixed

(2)
Changeset tag should also had tag tag linking to the Wiki page
with documentation

This will be added

(3)
Is data quality uniform across dataset or are there regions that for some
reason
are worse/better?

Yes it is uniform. This is considering all the buildings were digitized at
1:250 scale for the whole island and we used 7cm drone imagery for the
whole island.

(4)
Also, please post again after receiving permission - at least some people
will check quality of data only in cases when it is copyright-compatible.

Will do. This is just a sample i shared with the community. There
are +360,000 buildings on Unguja and about +200,000 on Pemba Island. We
will likely upload a small section first - the area where we are currently
collecting data in the field. Then the whole thing. That was our plan.

(5)
"attributes available in the original dataset will be omitted from the
imported dataset"
what kind of attributes are present? Maybe some of them are usable
as building=*, building:use=*, building:levels=* or other tags.

We were only allowed to share the shapes of buildings. The buildings have
unique IDs  which we assigned to them based on the nomenclature put forth
by the Government. This dataset (with unique IDs) is now used in several
applications by the government. So these numbers (IDs) will be omitted.