[Imports] Potential Import of Addresses for Thurston County, WA, USA

smocktaylor at gmail.com smocktaylor at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 14:33:48 UTC 2020

Possible issues with the license:
* "The Data is collected from various sources and will change over time
and without notice." (In other words, they may not own the copyright to
the data.)
* "Users are not authorized to license, re-license, assign, release
publish, transfer, sell or otherwise make available any portion of
these Data, or any information from GIS data derived from these
Datasets, to a third party in any format revealing Thurston County as
the source of the data." (I am not a lawyer, but this seems to be
counter-intuitive. They don't want to be credited? This is highly
unusual, and merits clarification by itself.)

There are probably some other things in the license that would make it
difficult/impossible to use in OSM.

The best thing you can do is reach out to the county and see if they
are willing to give explicit permissions for use in OpenStreetMap. It
might take them some time to respond, and they may say "no". If they
do, you will have to do an actual survey -- StreetComplete (Android)
could be useful for this, if you don't mind taking a walk. You'll just
have to draw in the main building first.

Good luck,
Taylor