[Imports] [Talk-us-pugetsound] Potential Import of Addresses for Thurston County, WA, USA

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Aug 10 22:46:51 UTC 2020

Raven,
As Pat said, I've done a bunch of imports. Currently I'm importing
buildings and addresses for Marysville, WA. Because the building footprints
aren't the best quality, it will take a while.

As far as the licensing goes, I'm sure if we contact the GIS manager we can
get written approval to use the data. Counties and cities are pretty open
to sharing their data with OSM. In fact my Marysville import is being done
for the city. I attempted to look up the GIS manager but their web page
doesn't show one. I'm sure I can get one if we need it. The county does
have both addresses and building outlines. I'd encourage you to consider
adding both. But, Thurston county has 129K addresses and 146K building
outlines. I'd recommend doing the import in smaller chunks like cities or
neighborhoods.

As for the process, once I've made sure the data is in good shape, I split
it into small chunks, usually voting districts (even though we don't use
them in the state anymore - thank you mail in voting) The data is then fed
into OSM US's Tasking Manager for import using JOSM.

If you'd like to experience what it's like to use the Tasking Manager
contact me via email to import some of Marysville.

Best,
Clifford

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 5:18 PM Pat Tressel <ptressel at myuw.net> wrote:

> Raven --
>
> Our local import expert is Clifford Snow ( clifford at snowandsnow.us ) --
> he shepherded through the import of house numbers and building footprints
> for King County.  What he did was to split up the data into more manageable
> pieces, and then put out a call for folks who live in each area to do the
> import "by hand".  My memory is hazy, but the process was something like:
> We'd open the area in JOSM, then open the file with the house numbers and
> building polygons as a layer.  We'd select and add a few at a time, after
> checking that they were ok.  If you have a local OSM Meetup group, you
> could rope them in to do the work.  Or, perhaps CUGOS folks could help.
>
> -- Pat

@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch