[Imports] Montreal Bike Lanes Import

Yaro Shkvorets shkvorets at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:40:01 UTC 2020

Seeing this dataset contains all kinds of bike lanes, from sharrows
(cycleway=shared_lane) to cycle tracks, make sure you don't mix them up.
Maybe it would even make sense to conflate them separately, i.e. 1)
conflate sharrows, 2) conflate bike lanes, 3) conflate cycle tracks 4)
conflate pathways. I'm saying "conflate" because 99% of those features are
probably already on the map, so for the most part, you'll be just detailing
the tags. By no means you should delete any existing ways.

I see each segment has TYPE_VOIE tag, so first of all, you should figure
out which value corresponds to what. For example, TYPE_VOIE=1 looks like
for sharrows (cycleway=shared_lane), TYPE_VOIE=3 for painted bike lanes
(cycleway=lane), etc. Perhaps the city website has its own map that has a
legend to help you figure it out or you may need to check that on the
ground.
Once you have that sorted out, look at other tags, such as,
- SAISONS4 - could be useful for pathways to indicate whether they are
winter-maintained. See winter_service OSM tag:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:winter_service
- TYPE_VOIE2 - not sure, maybe encodes something like width, surface, etc -
could be useful in setting those tags. Need to investigate.
- NBR_VOIE - number of lanes? For painted bike lanes NBR_VOIE=1 probably
means there is a bike lane only on one side of the road
- Ville_MTL - operator=* tag

You should write down all these transformation rules on the import page.
If you are not sure about which OSM tags to use for a particular type of
bike lane, you should check with local mappers. In Ottawa for that purpose,
we compiled a local wiki:
https://github.com/BikeOttawa/OSM-Bike-Ottawa-Tagging-Guide For Montreal
most tags should be the same I suspect.

As for the technical part of the import, I would use task manager to split
the city into more manageable chunks: http://tasks.osmcanada.ca/
You'll definitely need to go through every segment you are importing
manually one-by-one and make sure you fix all JOSM warnings on upload.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:42 AM Matthieu Guyonnet-Duluc via Imports <
imports at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The City of Montreal (Quebec, Canada) is expanding rapidly the bike lanes
> network and has an open data website where this network is available as
> GeoJSON and KML files (
> https://donnees.montreal.ca/ville-de-montreal/pistes-cyclables).
>
> I have started a page for this project here
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_Project_:_Montreal_Bike_Lanes_Network
>

> In the past, I have done some small and manual edits in OSM with JOSM but
> I’m not familiar with geospatial tools and data. As I described in the
> project wiki page I see 2 paths :
>
> GeoJON => OSM XML => Import
> Or import KML file with JOSM and the plugin open data.
>
> In both cases the conflation would be the biggest challenge and I don’t
> have any idea how to handle this.
>
> In general I think it would a good investment since when the city will
> update the files, those updates will be easier to handle (hopefully).
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Matthieu

Best Regards,
          Yaro Shkvorets