[Imports] Permission Statement

smocktaylor at gmail.com smocktaylor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 15:20:10 UTC 2020

Since I am currently doing an import of addresses in Colorado, I'll
throw my two cents in.

If you are looking at https://data.colorado.gov, the website has a
tabbed view. Look in the "About" tab, and see if there is a "Licensing
and Attribution" section. If so, there may or may not be a "License"
that the data is under. If you do not see a license, assume it is
copyrighted. You can still reach out to the dataset owner for
clarification (their information should also be in the "About" tab).

For example, I'm using
https://data.colorado.gov/State/Statewide-Aggregate-Addresses-in-Colorado-2019-Pub/n7je-akky
for my address import (but preferring county data sources, when
available and permissible). In this case the license was "Public
Domain", which I verified was "copyright public domain" instead of just
being available to the public domain, so just be certain I reached out
to the dataset owner.

In short, yes, some data is permissible, but do not assume that it is
all permissible.