[Imports] Permission Statement

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 17:05:50 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM <smocktaylor at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are looking at https://data.colorado.gov, the website has a
> tabbed view. Look in the "About" tab, and see if there is a "Licensing
> and Attribution" section. If so, there may or may not be a "License"
> that the data is under. If you do not see a license, assume it is
> copyrighted. You can still reach out to the dataset owner for
> clarification (their information should also be in the "About" tab).

If I go to that website,  click on "recreation" (since I am interested
in state parks), click on Colorado Parks and Wildlife (seems like the
most logical choice), it does say "License: Public Domain"!, but when
I click "Open Dataset in New Tab", it opens up the general Colorado
Parks and Wildlife website, which no obvious mention of any datasets
(perhaps it is there somewhere).

The dataset I am interested in is:
https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b1b27dc4bde744e490e0d1a9f9512032
This doesn't cite any license, it just has a "standard disclaimer." I
reached out to the dataset owner, and it seems they don't have the
authority to say anything about the use of the data other than the
standard disclaimer and that is "publicly available."

I did speak to another state official yesterday, and they are going to
attempt to clarify the license.  But again, if the OSM community is ok
with a state official saying "its public data you can do with it
whatever you want", then I can proceed now.