[Imports] Morris County, New Jersey Building Import

Jacob Jordan jacob.robert.jordan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 21:57:53 UTC 2021

Hello, I'm Jacob, safetygoggles on OSM. I'm from Morris County in New
Jersey (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2560069#map=11/40.8712/-74.5004) and
I have already mapped building footprints for several towns there from
aerial imagery but am looking to make progress a bit faster. This summer I
talked to Morris County GIS and obtained permission to use their GIS data
for OpenStreetmap, with a disclaimer that I'll post in the appropriate page
later on in the process, which can be found here:
http://morrisgisapps.co.morris.nj.us/gisdata.html

I've combed through a bit of the data already- it isn't the best, and
somewhere in the process I will need to delete duplicates (I will delete
from the Morris County data) and remove areas erroneously marked as
buildings. I plan to cut the data into segments using ArcGIS and work on
towns individually, since some of them have data that frankly can't be
brought up to standard. However, having done some testing offline in JOSM,
there are areas of fairly good data and I was able to create a decent
dataset for the town of Boonton in just about an hour, for example. If this
goes forward I plan to use JOSM to comb through every town's data before
uploading, so it will not be complete nor will it be done all too quickly.

Let me know any problems or concerns I should consider, I have never been
involved in such a process before so I would like to go slowly and
carefully as possible- however having written before to individual mappers
in the region there seemed to be general excitement to move this forward.
My wiki page is https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Safetygoggles.

Thank you,
Jacob

P.S. I will be posting this again in the osm-us mailing list, so I'm sorry
if it creates duplicates, it should be the same message.