[Imports] [Talk-us-newyork] [Imports-us] Update: New York State GIS SAM Address Points Import

Skyler Hawthorne osm at dead10ck.com
Tue Feb 9 16:16:49 UTC 2021

Hi Kenny, thanks for taking a look!

There is currently nothing super coordinated. I tried setting up a project in the Tasking Manager, but it doesn't let you make a project larger than 5000 kmĀ², so it doesn't appear that it would work well for the review effort. I did a closer manual inspection while I was doing Rensselaer county, and from the standpoint of "whether this data is usable", everything seemed fine. So in an effort to strike the best balance between actually getting the data in OSM and usable and getting the data perfectly in sync with existing OSM data, my plan is to do a bulk import of all the data first, and then go through all the addresses that were marked for review. This approach will also allow others who wish to help with review do so at their leisure. Based on what I've seen, the worst downside is that there are duplicate addresses in the map, which isn't the end of the world.

Once everything is imported, my plan was to basically do Overpass queries for all the things with the "nysgissam:review" tag and address them. So far, the vast majority of the things marked for review are small discrepancies in the street name in OSM vs the address DB, followed by conflicts with existing house numbers, city names, etc.

The current tally of things marked for review is: 72424

--
Skyler