[Imports] Non-standard tagging in Spanish Cadastre buildings import

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Mar 2 20:14:18 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I stumbled upon an issue with the ongoing Spanish Cadastre buildings
import that was discussed on this list in 2018.[1]

The imported data does not follow the Simple 3D Building tagging
standard[2]. If a building consists of 2 parts, the import will only
create 1 building:part area, rather than 2 building:part areas, and
assumes that renderers will create a virtual building part for the
remainder of the building.

One of many examples:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/840244312
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/840244317

It turns out that deleting these building parts before the import is an
intentional attempt to reduce the volume of data in the OSM database,
and is in fact documented on the import's "Data Conversion/Problems"
subpage:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Spanish_Cadastre/Buildings_Import/Data_Conversion/Problems#Reduction_of_building_parts

This bit of information is very easy to miss. I certainly didn't notice
it when first reviewing the import, and I suspect others didn't either.
If an import intentionally departs from documented tagging practices, I
would expect this to be given far more attention during discussion of
the import.

In the interest of consistent tagging, I would like to see this
behaviour corrected at least for the part of the import that hasn't been
completed yet, and ideally also for already-imported data that hasn't
seen any major manual editing since.

Yours,
Tobias

[1]